Winter usually means less humidity (unless you live in Australia!) which diffuses moisture from our skin cells (which are composed primarily of water) into the air. This leaves our skin parched, dull, ashen and even cracked. Between the increase in artificial heat, drying wind and decrease in activity, your skin can dry out more easily.
But five easy steps can help heal dry skin, renew it and leave soft, supple, beautiful skin.
- Showering and bathing strip natural oils from your skin. Limit your baths or showers to 5-minutes and only bathe once a day. Also, turn the temperature of the water down so water is warm rather than hot.
- Use a natural soap or liquid cleanser during the winter months Natural products don’t have harsh chemicals in it. Anjou carries Dani Natural and Eminence Organics body cleansers for this reason! Also, use a sugar scrub to increase circulation and decrease hydrated skin.
- Moisturize, a lot. Plan to use your moisturizer at least two times a day (morning and night), or more. The moisturizer that you select does not need to be expensive to be effective.
- Invest in a humidifier or for an inexpensive solution, place plants around the room. A humidifier can add much needed moisture to dry air. Another solution is to place bowls of water in the room that you spend most of your time in. The water will evaporate and add moisture to the air.
- Protect your skin from the cold and the wind with scarves, hats and gloves. I know, duh, right!
If you’d like some more specific strategies, then Anjou would recommend coming in for our Signature Thermotherapy manicure or pedicure. This service not only infuses warmth into your bones, but it traps moisture on the skin and allows it to absorb the natural paraffin-alternative ingredients that make your hands and feet feel amazing.
Or, come in for a Hydrotherapy treatment, our Water Wellness program. A body scrub and wrap will increase circulation and keep skin hydrated!